Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Floral over Gradient - Nicole Diary Water Decal Review

Hello Lovelies!  I hope you all had a fun and safe Memorial Day weekend.  I was fortunate enough to spend time with family, and show off our new little guy a bit.  While I was hanging out with my family, I actually had a few minutes of baby free time.  This has become such a rare treat that I do my nails whenever the opportunity arises.  So, I decided to do a design and try out another of the Nicole Diary water decals they had sent me.


These pretty floral decal is Pattern 05.  You can purchase them through either Nicole Diary's Amazon store or their Aliexpress store.

It has been so long since I've created a gradient, I really wanted to do one with this design.  It is one of my favorite techniques.  Gradients are relatively easy but require a little extra prep time.

I started off with a white base.  You can either use white or the lightest shade of your gradient combo.  White happens to be the lightest color in my combo.  I also prefer to do a three shade color combo, but you can create a gradient with as few as two colors.


I also prepped my fingers with liquid latex for a quicker clean up.  If you don't have liquid latex (or the equivalent for those with latex allergies) you can also use tape.


To create the gradient, I use a make up sponge.  I dampen the sponge with water, because I feel this helps create a smoother blend.  However, this is not necessary, just a personal preference.  Then load the sponge with polishes, I am creating a horizontal linear gradient with Salon Perfect 'Sugar Cube,' China Glaze 'Spring in My Step,' and 'Strike a Rose.'  Then just dab, dab, dab.  Reload the sponge as necessary. 


I like to remove the latex and do a small bit of clean up with gentle acetone and a brush at this point before proceeding.  Of course, if you don't have or don't want to apply decals you should apply a topcoat to finish.
 

I then applied the water decals, as I have done in the past.  Start by trimming the decals, because my nails are short I trim the decals in half so that I get double the use out of a sheet (in other words I get two full manicures instead of one).  Remove the protective covering, and submerge the decal in water for approximately 20-30 seconds.  Remove the decal from the water, and carefully slide the decal from the backing.  Moisten the nail, and then place the decal on the surface.  Gently smooth out any wrinkles.  Remove excess decal with a brush and gentle acetone.


Of course, you should apply a topcoat to officially seal the decal.  When applying your topcoat I recommend you float the topcoat over the nail.  If you apply the topcoat too thinly there is the potential of damaging the decal design.


I really like these Nicole Diary water decals.  All of the ones that have been sent to me are a pattern over a clear backing.  That means that whatever polish color you choose is the background color of the design.  That leave endless possibilities for creating different designs all with one pattern. 


I really like how this pattern looks over the gradient.  The gradient makes the decals look really unique and the decals take a simple gradient to the next level.


I'm really falling in love with Nicole Diary water decals (in fact, I just ordered a whole bunch).  Their designs are unique and gorgeous, and the prices are reasonable.  If you place an order you can use code Tal2016 for a free gift.  Just type the code in the comments to the seller, to receive a free gift valued between $2-$5.


I hope you enjoyed this nail art design as well as found the tutorial and review useful.  Thanks for stopping by, see you next time.


Your Fellow Plebe,


No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Gadgets

Random Nail Art

Background