Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Mondrain Inspired Colorr Blocking Nail Art Design

I have always loved geometric designs, even as a young child I would doodle pictures using various shapes.  Piet Mondrain is one of the most popular artist known for his retro geometric artwork pieces.

I decided to do my first color blocking manicure (ever) inspired by Mondrain compositions.

Materials
Black, white, red, yellow, and blue polish
Striping tape
Small Brush

I started with one coat of Nabi 'Black' on all my fingers.


For my accent fingers I placed random sized squares and rectangles using striping tape.
I then applied white polish and removed the tapes.  I used Sinful Colors 'Snow Me White' for my white polish.


I then used red, yellow, and blue polish and a small brush to fill in some of the squares/rectangles.  I used OPI 'Coca‐Cola Red', Sinful Colors 'Endless Blue,' and China Glaze 'Metro Pollen‐tin'.


I did have to touch up my black lines.  I used a black nail art striper to freshen up and straighten up my lines.


I love this design!  Between the geometric pattern and the colors its just perfect.  It is so easy to create and a great way to practice the striping tape process.  Of course, if you are really good (or want to practice your freehand), you can start with a white base polish and hand paint the black lines using a nail art striper too.  This would save you some time, but I prefer using the tape because my lines are more consistent and straighter.  Either way you should try this design, it is really striking.

 I really hope you enjoyed this design just as much as me.  If you do, please like/follow me, you can do so by clicking the 'Join this Site' icon.  You can also follow me through Google+BloglovinFacebookInstagram, and/or Pinterest.  Thanks for stopping by, see you next time.

Your Fellow Plebe,


8 comments:

  1. This turned out perfect, Chrystal! The lines are really crisp! Also the color combo is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Victoria! Using the tape helped create the crisp lines but I did do a little touch up with a nail art striper.

      Delete
  2. You did sooo well for your first time! I hope my first time will be just as good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tina! I'm sure your first color blocking will be spot on, your work is superb!

      Delete
  3. Mondiran is so hard to do, with the precise lines. You did a fabulous job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Handtastic Intentions! Straight lines are tough for a newbie like myself but using the striping tape for guidance really helps.

      Delete
  4. You did such a fantastic job with these! The precision is spot on, great work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sparkle Queen! I find that cutting back on caffeine before trying to accomplish a straight line design works wonders!

      Delete

Social Gadgets

Random Nail Art

Background