Sunday, February 21, 2016

Smooshy Nails Sunday Collaboration

Happy Sunday Lovelies! I hope you are all enjoying your weekend so far.  This week I decided to participate in my first #smooshynailsunday collaboration. Four lovely Instagram nail artists, @nailsbychablis, @renai_madison, @nail_it_rong, and @dorisylhow, have been hosting this weekly collaboration for a bit and I just love doing smooshy nails, so I thought it was about time I jumped in on this challenge.


This week's colors were chosen by the lovely Chablis and included: holo purple, dark purple, and lilac. (Photo from below is from Doris' Instagram page, and are not the actual polishes I used.)


For my polishes I used Monster Polish 'For Peep's Sake!!!' (holo purple), I.A.M…Custom Color Cosmetics '30 Minute Work Week' (dark purple), and China Glaze 'In a Lily Bit' (lilac). Sadly, I failed to take a bottle shot picture before I put all my photo stuff away (and I'm too lazy to get it all out for one picture). 

In my opinion smooshy nails, or smoosh attack nails as I've referred to them in the past, are really fun and easy to create. They require little to no skill, and don't require many tools. There is really no way to do them wrong. 

This is how I like to create my smooshy nails: start by applying your favorite base coat, and something to protect your skin (either liquid latex or tape). Using a stamper, dot the polishes randomly on the surface. I found that using smaller dots worked best for me. Then Simply smoosh the polishes directly onto your nail. Repeat until you are satisfied with the appearance and opacity. 


Once, your happy with your smoosh remove your protection, perform any necessary cleanup with gentle acetone and a brush, and don't forget to apply your favorite topcoat.  It's really that simple! 


Here are a few other pointers I can provide for you that might help with your smooshy journey: 

🔹If your colors are not very opaque start with a coat of the lightest smoosh color. 
🔹If you want your colors to appear brighter, try a white base coat. 
🔹If you want a more spotty look (a little more color separation) use smaller dots of polish, and give them just a couple of seconds to set before smoothing them onto your nails. Use a direct press or dabbing motion. 
🔹If you are looking for a more blended appearance use slightly larger dots of polish. When smoothing the polish onto your nail, do so with a slight twist or swiping motion. 
🔹Don't have a stamper but want the same look, try out the plastic baggy method. Dab or dot polishes directly on to the nail and use plastic to smoosh the polish. 


I love this smoosh so much, Chablis picked out a wonderful color combination. I did apply some stamping over the top of this, but it came out so poorly that I didn't even bother taking pictures. Besides, this smoosh is just too pretty!


This weekly collaboration is available to anyone that want to join, so if your on Instagram be sure to follow one of the lovely hosts for the weekly color post. If you would like to see who else participated in this collaboration, checkout one of the host's Instagram feed and look for the picture below for the complete list. Also checkout my Instagram page, if you haven't already, @polish_plebe, I post there slightly more frequently, and add little snippets of my personal life too. 


I hope you enjoyed this super easy design, and found the tips useful. Thanks for stopping by, see you next time. 


Your Fellow Plebe,












No comments:

Post a Comment

Social Gadgets

Random Nail Art

Background