Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Candy Corn Fan Gradient

Hello Lovelies!  Life is been so hectic lately that the only nail art I've been doing has consisted of Instagram birthday collaborations and various prompts (not that I don't love participating in them).  It has been so long since I've created any nail art just because I really wanted to.  I finally had a break, and I was sent these adorable water slide decals as an extra goody in an order I placed for my trick or treat swap girl from Ribbit Stickits, that I have been itching to use.  Surprisingly they also work for this week's Nail Art Nation prompt, Autumn nails.  So here they are...


Materials I used:
White polish - Salon Perfect 'Sugar Cube'
Yellow Polish - Butter London 'East End'
Orange Polish - Butter London 'Brick Lane'
Fan Brush
Uber Chic Mat

For this nail look I did the candy corn colored fan brush gradient on my thumb, pointer, and mid fingers.  For my fellow plebes that have not done a fan brush gradient, it is not difficult, however, it does not create a smooth seamless gradient like a sponge gradient.

Like most gradients, start with a base coat of white polish or the lightest shade in your color combination, mine just so happens to be white.  Apply liquid latex to the surrounding skin, for easy clean up.  Using a fan brush, line your three colors on a surface, and swipe the brush to pick up the polishes.  Then swipe the fan brush across your nail, repeat until you are satisfied.  Pretty simple.


For my ring and pinky I used these totally adorable decals sent to me with the order I placed.  To make a long story short, I ordered some custom decals for my swap girl, and Kristy added these in for me.  Kristy blew me away with her excellent customer service, she realized a mistake with the customs I ordered after she had shipped them and contacted me to point it out before hand. If she hadn't I may not have ever noticed a problem, and my swap girl would have ended up with decals that weren't usable.  I highly recommend you check out Ribbit Stickits awesome selection of vinyls and decals, and if you need something special just shoot her an email.


Now being the plebe that I am, I was thinking to myself, I love water decals but they are never as opaque as I would like.  Low and behold Kristy included instructions on how to do just that...and that is when I had my uh, duh momemt, forehead slap included.  It all seems so obvious now...


So here is how I interpreted the directions.  I started by trimming out the desired decals.  I placed the decals face down on a nail art stamper.  Using a q-tip saturated with water I moistened the backing by rolling the q-tip back and forth over the decal for about 20-30 seconds.  Using the q-tip I then applied slight pressure and slid the backing off the decal.  Using a small dotting tool and white polish, I filled in the picture, doing my best to stay within the shape.  Finally, I added a layer of quick drying topcoat and allowed to dry, before pealing it from the stamper and applying it to my nail.


I failed to take pictures of the decal application, but I've done this many times before in other posts.  You simply apply a layer of polish or topcoat to your nail.  I recommend allowing the polish to dry to a tacky state, then gently press the decal onto the nail and apply a final layer of topcoat and clean the excess decal with gentle acetone and a brush.  I will be posting quick video tutorials on my Instagram account later today, so check them out if you need a full motion visual.


As per usual I finished the entire nail art design by cleaning up with gentle acetone and a brush and topped it all off with a quick drying glossy topcoat.  My favorite topcoats at the moment are the scented topcoats from Together We Impact.  Not only do they smell awesome, but the profit goes straight to the Free the Children community in Kenya.  


It was so nice to sit down and do nails just for me for a change.  I hope you enjoyed them, and found the tutorial and tips useful.  Thanks for stopping by, see you next time.


Your Fellow Plebe,






2 comments:

  1. Love this post Crystal! Thank you for your sweet words about Ribbits. I love this mani ans I'm so glad you love the decals! 💚

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post Crystal! Thank you for your sweet words about Ribbits. I love this mani ans I'm so glad you love the decals! 💚

    ReplyDelete

Social Gadgets

Random Nail Art

Background